Thursday, November 15, 2007

Internetless...

So, we have been without internet for the last couple of days...you think this would happen more often out here, but luckily it is a rare occurence...nice to feel connected with the world again though. Things have been going well here, and while we have had some rain, the early afternoons have still been great for beach days, which I have been trying to take full advantange of. I just changed my schedule so I will be working only five days instead of six, and i will have my weekends off! Yippeeeee! This has been a major sticking point for me lately, so I am so glad we were able to hire a new girl to cover my weekend shifts...very happy about that.

So, the latest thing in my cabin has been mice and rats. WARNING: if you are easily grossed out, STOP reading. So, we have like seven cats on the property, and lately, almost every other morning, I wake up to find entrails on my kitchen floor from rats or mice that the cats have killed...not a nice way to wake up, let me tell ya. The other day, I was carrying my hamper into my room and I couldn't figure out why the cat wouldn't stop meowing...and then I stepped on the dead mouse that it was trying to show me (which I didn't see because i was carrying the hamper in front of me)--yeah, talk about a freakout session....i. just. stepped. on. a. dead. mouse. GROSS. And then, the very next morning, I had to make an early phone call to the East coast and as I'm sitting there at 6:30 in the morning, talking to this woman on the phone, the cat comes and drops and dead mouse at my feet. Oh, if she could have only seen me on the other end of the line...then it proceeded to start playing with it, and I high-tailed it out of there. I guess the cats provide an excellent service by keeping my cabin mouse and rat-free, but I have to tell ya, it can be a bit disturbing sometimes. Thankfully, I have never had any gross things in my actual bedroom, just a friendly spider and some geckos (which eat bugs, hallelujah), so at least i can feel pretty comfortable sleeping...

I got sick yesterday, and my head feels like it is stuffed with cottonballs and I can't breathe...I hate sinus infections. I have been sleeping most of the afternoon, and I just had ate some soup and am planning on going back to bed--always the best option when you're sick, right? Hopefully I will get over this quickly, I hate being sick, especially when you have to take care of yourself...

Thanksgiving is coming up, and I think I am spending it with Ananda, probably going to a family's home that she knows and having a big spread...I will terribly miss Thanksgiving with my family, it is always one of my favorite holidays, everyone lounging around the house, the kitchen smelling fantastic, and just hanging out with family and friends.

After that, it is one week more and I am back in the city baby, yeah! I am so looking forward to some time with friends and family...can't wait. Thanks for the comments on the blog, and the emails, it gets pretty quiet and isolated out here, so it is always nice to hear from you, even if it's quick. Love and miss you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yucky! I had a sinus infection for like three weeks before I realized what it was...then the drugs they gave me made me so sick (worse than said infection) that I stopped them immediately... I am better now.

As for the "cat offerings" that means they like you and want to please you. It is sort of a sacrifice to the Gods (read: you). It's totally gross, I agree. But in cat lingo, it means you are the shit!!

Love you girl! Miss you. PS-I'm back on the west coast and getting a divorce...for real this time. It's all good!

Unknown said...

OH CRAP!

I haven't heard from you in forever. I'm totally jelous of where you are, the pictures are fantastic!

Did you know I'm married almost a year now and have a CHILD on the way? Its a boy!

Alright, have fun and save some banana bread for me!

-Brian Parra

Unknown said...

Hi Andria! I was wondering what happened to you...nice to see that you're having such amazing adventures in Maui.

BTW, the only solution to the cat/rat thing is to carefully find all the places where they are getting in and out and block the holes off. There's this spray foam stuff that works really well for cracks and other odd shaped openings. Then you have to trap/kill any that might get stuck inside. If you keep up with that, it should get a lot better. OK, enough with household advice ;-).

Anyway, you are missed. Give me a call or an e-mail when you're in town and please keep me on your blog e-mail reminder list.

With love,

Kenny / DJ -=Rhythmystic=-